Rhode Island is home to many beautiful lakes and resort areas. Many might say that sailing is the state’s unofficial pastime, and indeed, many residents enjoy yachting regularly. The surrounding industry employs many individuals, and a significant portion of the workforce comprises immigrants who are working with temporary visas. If you are one of the workers, perhaps you want to prolong your stay.

There are some ways to continue working and living in Rhode Island if you are here on a temporary work visa. The following are a few things to keep in mind if you want to remain in the United States. 

Construct a solid case for residency

To obtain a temporary work visa, the government typically requires applicants to provide substantive evidence that they will not attempt to remain in the country. This might include proof of homeownership or lease in the country of origin or strong familial ties that would dissuade a person from staying in the U.S. to remain in the U.S., then, you must convincingly make the opposite case.

Find the option that meets your needs

There are many ways to obtain a green card after you have worked with a temporary visa. According to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, if you happen to meet somebody and fall in love, marriage can provide an opportunity to become a permanent resident. There are other ways to get a green card, too — if you are a skilled worker or artist, you can apply based on these criteria.

Consider dual-intent applications

Many people overlook the possibility of dual intent visas, but for workers in the United States, they are often one of the best options. H-1B and O-1 visas qualify as dual intent and allow applicants to be temporarily present in the U.S. before they receive approval for a green card. This option may not allow applicants to continue working, however.