Helping You Meet Challenges And Seize Opportunities
Born in Newport, Rhode Island, Richard is a native Rhode Islander with deep roots in the State’s maritime heritage. A lifelong yachtsman and veteran of numerous Bermuda Races and the 1970 America’s Cup campaign on the 12 meter yacht “Intrepid”. Mr. Sayer is currently an active crew member campaigning the iconic 12 meter yacht “Courageous” throughout the summer months. Mr. Sayer served with distinction as a Surface Warfare Officer in the U.S. Navy before entering law school.
Mr. Sayer’s practice is focused on solving complex issues involving real property, probate administration, trusts, estate planning and business law. Other aspects of Mr. Sayer’s practice cover a broad range of legal issues including business, corporation and non-profit law and governance, condominium development and documentation, conservation easements, administrative law and local government affairs.
Mr. Sayer represents religious organizations on canon law as well as a variety of other legal issues and serves as Chancellor for the Episcopal Diocese of Rhode Island and as legal counsel to the Episcopal Bishop of Rhode Island.
Mr. Sayer has served many local, non-profit institutions:
- Former longtime Trustee of St. George’s School in Newport, RI, currently serving as an Honorary Trustee and advisor to the Board;
- Former longtime Trustee of the Preservation Society of Newport County, currently serving as an Overseer of the organization;
- St. Mary’s Episcopal Church in Portsmouth, RI;
- Former Town Solicitor for the Town of Middletown
- The Episcopal Diocese of Rhode Island
Areas of Practice
- Real Property, Probate, Trusts and Estates
- Business Law
- Rhode Island, 1978
- Suffolk University Law School, Boston, Massachusetts
- University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- A.B. – 1969
- Major: English
- Are There Advantages to Developing An Exit Plan To leave Your Business? Absolutely
Honors and Awards
- Assistant Town Solicitor, Town of Middletown, Rhode Island, 2014