On behalf of Sayer Regan & Thayer of Sayer Regan & Thayer, LLP posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2018.

As someone who has held asylum status for over a year, you’re in a good position to seek a green card. The United States allows those who have been under refugee status to change their statuses to lawful permanent resident status.

When you decide that you want to obtain LPR, you need to file a Form I-485 with the government. This form allows you to seek to adjust your status, so you can get all the benefits of being a legal resident of the United States.

What kind of documents must be supplied with the Form I-485?

Some documents to include are your filing fee, fingerprint fee and two photos of yourself with your A-number attached. You’ll also want to include a signed Form I-485 along with Form G-28 signed by the applicant and attorney.

That’s not all you’ll need. You’ll also need a Form I-693 to show that you have received medical examinations and appropriate vaccinations. You’ll want to provide your birth certificate or record, proof of your legal name and proof of any times when you were absent from the United States. You need evidence of your asylee status along with Form I-602. Finally, you’ll need to show that you’ve been living in the United States for one year or longer. You must have a physical presence in the United States for at least one year, not just the right to remain.

Your attorney can help you prepare these documents. Done correctly, it will take less time for you to find out if your requests have been accepted.

Source: FindLaw, “Can I Obtain a Green Card as a Refugee or Asylee?,” accessed Feb. 23, 2018