Sayer Regan & Thayer, LLP
Call For Your Free Initial Consultation

Immigration Law Archives

Immigrants: Know your rights with law enforcement

Even in the best political climates, immigrants face a lot of uncertainties. However, when there's an anti-immigrant sentiment taking hold among some of the people in your adopted homeland, many immigrants become unsure of their legal rights.

What's the difference between seeking refuge and seeking asylum?

Asylum seekers are another aspect of the ever-evolving immigration landscape in the United States. While many people are focused on undocumented immigrants and refugees, there are other foreign nationals in the U.S. that are desperately hoping to be granted asylum. Without it, they may be returned to countries where they may die because of persecution.

It's time to seek immigration assistance in Rhode Island

This is a difficult time to be an immigrant in the United States -- the incoming presidential administration built part of its platform on a promise to curb undocumented immigration. This has many undocumented immigrants who have been quietly living, studying, working and paying taxes in the United States for years concerned about their immediate future. Many are afraid that once the new president takes office, they'll be rapidly shipped back to a country that they hardly remember and no longer fit into.

DREAMers may face trouble ahead

Immigrants to the U.S. have been considerably concerned about the changes in policy that the upcoming Trump administration may make to policies and initiatives that were put in place by the last administration. In particular, those who have benefited from the Obama Administration's DREAM Act, which stands for the Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors, may be in for a sharp reversal in fortunes.

Proving derivative citizenship

One of the most complicated areas of immigration law is derivative citizenship. Derivative citizenship refers to any situation where someone becomes a citizen either at birth or sometime after birth but before age 18 through the actions of their parents or other relatives.

How do you show that you have a specialty occupation?

To get the H-1B, you need to show a number of different things regarding your employment, including the fact that you work in a "specialty occupation". This is not that tough to prove in most cases, as there are a few different criteria, and you only have to meet one.

Contact Our Attorneys

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

130 Bellevue Avenue
Newport, RI 02840

Toll Free: 800-803-7699
Phone: 401-324-9915
Fax: 401-849-4330
Newport Law Office Map

343 C Main St.
Wakefield, RI 02879

Toll Free: 800-803-7699
Phone: 401-324-9915
Fax: 401-783-0660
Map & Directions