Sayer Regan & Thayer, LLP
Call For Your Free Initial Consultation

Consular Processing for a U.S. Visa while outside of the UNITED STATES

Consular processing for your US visa involves a visit to the U.S. Consulate if you hope to get a U.S. visa stamp for your passport. This visa stamp allows you entry into the United States. This is part of the process an individual would go through who is the beneficiary of an approved petition and who has an immediately-available immigrant visa number.

It’s no secret that immigration law is a tricky branch of the law, with constantly-evolving rules, amendments and regulations. Therefore, it is always in your best interests to consult with an attorney skilled in immigration law to handle all issues pertaining to your immigrant or non-immigrant Visa including a Green card.

Sayer, Regan and Thayer can help bring foreign nationals to this country through Consular Processing, Every consulate in the world follows unique procedures, which is yet another reason why you need a lawyer to prepare and file your application and coach you through the Visa Process.

What to Know About Consular Processing

The Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) offers two ways for individuals to gain permanent resident status:

  • An individual outside the U.S. must apply for an immigrant visa in order to come to the U.S. as a permanent resident (consular processing).
  • An alternate process (Adjustment of Status) allows an eligible individual, who is already in the U.S., to apply for permanent residency without the need to go back to their home country to complete processing.

There are many steps involved in consular processing:

1. Determine Immigration Category To Which immigrant category do you belong? The majority of immigrants are eligible to get a Visa via a petition filed by a family member or employer. Others can obtain refugee or asylum status. 2. File Immigrant Petition Next, you need to file an immigrant petition, or have someone file it on your behalf.

3. Await a Decision on Your Petition USCIS will notify you of its decision. If denied, the notice will include reasons and how the individual can appeal the decision. If approved, the petition will be sent to the Department of State’s National Visa Center until an immigrant visa number becomes available.

4. Await Notification from the National Visa Center The National Visa Center will notify you when it has received the visa petition and when an immigrant visa number will become available, as well as when the individual must submit fees and supporting documentation.

5. Schedule an appointment The consular office will schedule an interview with the applicant.

6. Notify the National Visa Center of Any Changes Contact the NVC if you have had a change in your personal situation or if your address has changed.

7. After a Visa is Granted Depending on the type of Visa you sought and have been granted You will receive either a “Visa Packet,” or a stamp in your passport which you will present to the Customs and Border Protection officer at your port of entry. At this time, you will undergo inspection by a Customs and Border Protection officer and be admitted to the United States. .

Contact Sayer Regan & Thayer for Help with Visa Issues and Immigration Law

Feel free to contact us for a free, no-obligation consultation regarding your Visa status and the consular process, as our attorneys have exetensive experience in immigration law.

These materials have been prepared by SRT for informational purposes only and are not intended and should not be construed as legal advice.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Our Attorneys

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

130 Bellevue Avenue
Newport, RI 02840

Toll Free: 800-803-7699
Phone: 401-324-9915
Fax: 401-849-4330
Newport Law Office Map

343 C Main St.
Wakefield, RI 02879

Toll Free: 800-803-7699
Phone: 401-324-9915
Fax: 401-783-0660
Map & Directions