Sayer Regan & Thayer, LLP
Call For Your Free Initial Consultation

November 2017 Archives

Boating requirements: Certification matters in Rhode Island

When you're out on the water, it's time to enjoy being with your friends and family. As the fall and winter approach, it's an important time to talk about boating safety. Waters can get rough quickly, so you need to understand the laws, what to do in an emergency and how to be safe.

Can you face penalties for overstaying a visa?

You've been living in the United States on a visa, and you met someone you like a lot. You know your visa is running out, and you haven't found a way to stay in the country. What happens if you decide to overstay your visa to be with the person you want a relationship with?

Motorist faces charges for taking out weapon after car crash

People make mistakes, and it's not unusual for the police to pull someone over or to arrest an individual who has been drinking and driving. The thing to remember is that it's easy to make an already bad situation worse if you're not cooperative. This story is a good example of how not to react if you're involved in a crash and come into contact with the police.

Am I impacted by the Jones Act?

Newport residents may have recently heard something about the Jones Act in connection with hurricane response efforts for Puerto Rico and the continental United States. Although the breadth and scope of the act are large, there are certain parts of it that could definitely have an effect on Rhode Island residents.

What can you do after falling overboard?

When you go out on your boat, you are there to enjoy friends and the freedom of the open water. One of the last things you or other Rhode Island boaters would expect is to fall overboard. Unfortunately, many people fall off boats or ships each year, resulting in one of the commonest and deadliest types of maritime accidents in the country. Knowing what to do if you find yourself in the water can mean the difference between life and death.

Fiances may be entitled to come to the U.S. as a resident

It wasn't ever your intention to fall in love out of the country, but now that you have, there's a problem you need to overcome. You want to go to the United States to be married, but there are regulations that require you to obtain a visa first.

Contact Our Attorneys

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

130 Bellevue Avenue
Newport, RI 02840

Toll Free: 800-803-7699
Phone: 401-324-9915
Fax: 401-849-4330
Newport Law Office Map

343 C Main St.
Wakefield, RI 02879

Toll Free: 800-803-7699
Phone: 401-324-9915
Fax: 401-783-0660
Map & Directions