Sayer Regan & Thayer, LLP
Call For Your Free Initial Consultation

How can you get a 601 waiver?

You came to America to seek a better life, and you're concerned that you could be deported. Coming to America illegally was not the correct way to enter, but there are some ways to protect your right to stay. One option for you to get into the United States is to leave for 10 years and reapply after your reentry ban ends. If you're unable to leave for fear of your life, there are other options.

One of the things you may want to apply for is a waiver of grounds of inadmissibility due to extreme hardship. If you file this, there is a chance you will be identified as a person who needs to be allowed into the country and be allowed to stay. There is no guarantee, however, which is why it's a good idea to work with your attorney.

Filing a 601 waiver can help you avoid the 10-year limitation. What can help you obtain this waiver?

One of the things you can use to help you obtain the waiver is the fact that a relative you are caring for cannot travel due to his or her health. This health condition would then make it necessary for you to stay in the United States to care for that relative. If your country is in an active state of war, then you may also be able to obtain this waiver as a refugee.

There are additional ways to obtain the waiver that your attorney can assist you with. If you believe you qualify, you'll need to file an application for this waiver as soon as possible.

Source: FindLaw, "Extreme Hardship and the 601 Waiver: Can I Avoid Deportation?," accessed May 18, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Our Attorneys

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

130 Bellevue Avenue
Newport, RI 02840

Toll Free: 800-803-7699
Phone: 401-324-9915
Fax: 401-849-4330
Newport Law Office Map

343 C Main St.
Wakefield, RI 02879

Toll Free: 800-803-7699
Phone: 401-324-9915
Fax: 401-783-0660
Map & Directions