Practice Areas

Firm News

view all



view all





 Opportunity!  The American Dream is about opportunity.  Always has been and hopefully always will be.  America grew up and grew rich on the backs of its immigrants.  But in these uncertain times, with heightened border security and a public backlash against undocumented immigrants, it has become more difficult to seize the abundant opportunities America has to offer.  As immigration law has grown more complex and bureaucratic, the land of opportunity has become the land of frustration for many talented foreign nationals.  This is where Sayer Regan & Thayer, LLP can help.

 American immigration law is complex, technical and has traps for the unwary.  One mistake can cost you.  Whether you are investing in a new business, or operating a business in need of professional immigrant employees or seasonal temporary workers, or you have married a United States Citizen, you need experienced, detail oriented and talented immigration lawyers advising you through every step of the process.  You need Sayer Regan & Thayer, LLP.  As dedicated immigration attorneys we know immigration law and can help you.



There are, generally speaking, two ways to enter the United States.  You could enter on a VISA or a GREEN CARD.  Which one is right for you depends upon what your goal is.  If you want to enter the United states for a temporary time period, then a VISA is what you need.  If you're looking to relocate to the United States permanently, you need a GREEN CARD.

But how do you obtain the VISA or the GREEN CARD?  That is where Sayer Regan & Thayer, LLP can help.


There are many different types of VISAS.  Which one is right for you depends upon how long you wish to stay, whether or not you want to work, what skills you offer in the marketplace, how many visas are available and many, many other factors.  At Sayer Regan & Thayer, LLP, we listen, really listen to what your immigration goal is and then develop and execute a plan to help you achieve that goal.



There are, generally, speaking, two ways to obtain a GREEN CARD, otherwise known as Legal Permanent Residence status.  You could obtain a GREEN CARD through marriage to a United States Citizen or through employment.

Green Cards Through Marriage to A United States Citizen

Life would be simple if we all fell in love and married the boy or girl next door.  But love, like life, is way more complex than that.  And with the world seemingly getting smaller, the boy or girl next door may be from the country next door.

If you are a foreign national who married a United States Citizen, you can obtain a GREEN CARD by having your spouise file a Petition on your behalf.  Assuming you are not otherwise ineligible to enter the United States, your petitioning spouse can help you obtain the GREEN CARD.  Of course, it is not as easy as it sounds.  The United States Citizen and Immigration Service takes the position that more than half of these petitons are based on fraud and designed to circumvent the immigration laws of the United States.  You have to be able to prove to a skeptical audience that your marriage is genuine and legitimate and based on love and affection and is not a sham.

At Sayer Regan & Thayer, LLP, we have a proven track record of succes in handling petitions of this manner.  Our formula for execution depends upon teamwork and cooperation.  If we have that pledge from you, we will guide you, step by critical step, on your journey to Legal Permanent Residence status.

Green Cards Through Employment

The immigration laws of the United States are designed to protect American workers from foreign competition.  That is without argument.  Therefore, by design, it is difficult to obtain a GREEN CARD based on your employment status, but it is not impossible.  To a great extent, your ability to obtain a GREEN CARD in this manner depends upon what your skills are, what job you are seeking, what employment offers have been made to you, and a number of other factors too numerous to list here.

At Sayer Regan and Thayer, LLP, we are professionals at assisting individuals and companies obtain GREEN CARDS.  We meet with all interested parties, listen to what the goals are, and then develop strategies and execute plans to achieve the goals.




Almost every business has a busy season but each year it becomes harder to find Americans to fill temporary seasonal jobs.  As a result, employers must look beyond our shores for able and qualified workers.

 H-2B visas allow businesses to fill seasonal or hospitality positions with immigrant workers.  However, only 66,000 H-2B visas are issued each year.  As a result, you are in direct competition with just about every business in America for a relatively small number of available H-2B visas.  Therefore, H-2B visa application mistakes or delays could leave your business without the workers it needs.

 At Sayer Regan & Thayer, LLP, we put your business first.  Our immigration attorneys have the experience and knowledge necessary to help your company find the temporary employees it needs.




Every business is desperate for competent, professional employees, especially in the field of information technology.  But finding those dedicated and qualified information technology professionals is difficult.  If your business is seeking an infusion of talent from abroad, you need to obtain the H-1B visa. 

The H-1B visa allows your business to recruit and hire skilled international technology professionals.  The H-1B visa is valid for 6 years and allows the foreign technology employee to seek a green card for permanent residency.  However, the H-1B visa is also capped.  Annually, over 120,000 H-1B visa applications are filed.  If your business doesn’t act fast and smart, your competition will out-recruit you for the available foreign technology professionals. 

At Sayer Regan & Thayer, LLP, we know “Hi-Tech” immigration and can develop solutions to fit your company’s needs. 




There is a dangerous shortage of healthcare professionals in the United States. If you are a hospital administrator or operate a medical research facility and you feel the deficiency of nurses and physical therapists, Sayer Regan & Thayer, LLP can offer a quick process to gain permanent employees.  “Schedule A” visas can help such employees obtain worker’s status in the United States. Other options include H-1B visas for professional workers, O-1 visas for aliens of extraordinary ability, and J-1 visas for physician scientists and researchers. Permanent residency can also be obtained using EB-1 or EB-2 visas.

Blog for Immigration

Library for Immigration:

  • Learn How To Choose The Right Lawyer For Your EB-1 Petition   
    An EB-1 worker of extraordinary ability is a “priority worker’ who has extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business or athletics. The worker’s achievements must be publicly recognized and has resulted in a period of sustained national or international acclaim. A further requirement is that the worker’s entry into the United States must substantially benefit the U.S. in the future.
  • Learn How A New Rule Allows U.S. Employers To Recruit Highly Desirable F-1 Students   
    United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced a new rule for F-1 students that hopefully will eliminate the F-1/H-1B “Cap Gap”. The cap is the congressionally-mandated limit on the number of individuals who may be granted H-1B status during each fiscal year. The “Cap-Gap” occurs when an F-1 student’s status and work authorization expire in the current fiscal year before they can start their approved H-1B employment in the next fiscal year beginning on October 1.
  • Learn what the United States Supreme Court Decided About Deportation Consequences of criminal convictions.   
    In a recent case the United States Supreme Court decided that attorneys representing noncitizens in criminal cases must advise their noncitizen clients about the risk of deportation if they accept a “guilty plea”. The Court seemingly recognized that the Immigration and Nationality Act in some cases imposes mandatory deportation from the United States for the noncitizen criminal defendant.
  • Family Based Immigrants Information   
    In general, a person who wishes to immigrate to the United States must have a petition approved by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) before applying for an immigrant visa. For family based visas, the petition is filed either by a U.S. citizen or U.S. lawful permanent resident relative.
  • Limited Family-Based Immigrants   
    These types of immigrant classifications involve specific, more distant, family relationships with a U.S. citizen and some specified relationships with a Lawful Permanent Resident. Under immigration law, there are fiscal year numerical limitations on family preference immigrants as explained below.
  • What Does the National Visa Center Do?   
    After a Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) office in the United States approves the petition, it sends the petition to the National Visa Center (NVC). When an applicant's priority meets the most recent Qualifying Date, the NVC will contact the applicant and petitioner with instructions for submitting the appropriate processing fees. After the appropriate processing fees are paid, the NVC will again contact the applicant and petitioner to request that the necessary immigrant visa documentation be submitted to the NVC. Learn more about National Visa Center visa case processing.
  • Read More About How To Become A U.S. Citizen. [PDF]   
    Pathway to U.S. Citizenship - Unraveling the Gordian Knot!
  • Use this chart to help determine if you can become a Naturalized United States citizen [PDF]   
    A Guide to Naturalization
  • Learn how a U.S. Citizen can petiton for his/her parents to be come Lawful permanent Residents of the United States   
    Learn how a U.S. Citizen can petiton for his/her parents to be come Lawful permanent Residents of the United States
  • Learn why the H-2B visa program is vital to America’s small businesses and thus to America’s economic recovery.   
    The H-2B visa program is vital to America’s small businesses and thus to America’s economic recovery. The H-2B program is capped at 66,000 visas per year and equally split between the winter and summer seasons. This is the same arbitrary number set by Congress 20 years ago, in 1990. Small business owners rely on the H-2B program because it is the only way they can legally hire workers for temporary and seasonal positions when they cannot find Americans to hire.
  • Learn About Employment Based Preference Categories   
    The Immigration and Nationality Act provides a yearly minimum of 140,000 employment-based immigrant visas which are divided into five preference categories. They may require a labor certification from the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL), and the filing of a petition with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services in the Department of Homeland Security (USCIS).
    If you are an outstanding, internationally recognized athlete, and you wish to ply your trade in the United States, then the P-1 Visa may be just what you need.
    One of the most common ways for immigrants to seek permanent legal residence status in the United States is to marry a United States citizen. By law, your United States citizen spouse is entitled to file a petition for you as an “Immediate Relative”, otherwise known as the I-130 petition.
    In July of 2009, Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), at the direction of the Department of Homeland Security, began randomly auditing businesses for compliance with the Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification.
  • Eligibility For A Green Card As A “PREFERENCE RELATIVE”   
    One way for immigrants to seek permanent legal residence status in the United States is to have a relative in the United States file a petition on their behalf. You may qualify for a Green Card through your relative if you fall into one of the following categories:
  • Eligibility For A Green Card As An “IMMEDIATE RELATIVE”   
    One of the most common ways for immigrants to seek permanent legal residence status in the United States is to have an “Immediate Relative” in the United States file a petition on their behalf. The petition is appropriately named the “Petition for Immediate Relative”. The “closer” your relationship is with your family member, the greater the chance that you will be able to obtain a Green Card.
  • Why The Federal No-Match Rule May Hurt Innocent Immigrants   
    Employers have received a reprieve from the federal “no match” rule that would have punished businesses for hiring illegal workers, but the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) served notice last week that it’s refusing to give up on the controversial measure.
  • Newport may be scrambling for summer help   
    Sayer Regan Thayer & Flanagan in Newport, referred to “an alphabet soup of visas” — the H visas, the J-1 visa, the F-1 visa, the L-1, the O-1, the P-1, the Q, the R, the S, the T, the U.
  • Non-Immigrant Visas   
    There are a myriad of non-immigrant visas that permit people to come to the United States for a temporary period of time, be it to study, work or participate in an exchange program.
  • About Our Immigration Group   
    At Sayer Regan Thayer & Flanagan, our attorneys, paralegals and professional staff work as a team to provide practical, innovative and effective solutions to all your legal needs. We will aggressively represent your interests as if they were our own. Sayer Regan Thayer & Flanagan was founded on tradition, built with integrity and consistently delivers superior results.

View All

Web Resources for Immigration:

View All