Practice Areas

Firm News

view all



view all


Family Based Immigrants Information

How do I File for a Family-Based Immigrant Visa?

As the first step, the sponsoring relative files a Petition for Alien Relative, Form I-130. You file the petition with the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigrations Services (USCIS) immigration Field Office in the United States that serves the area where you live, except as explained below. For instructions on how to file a petition see Petitioning Procedures: Bringing an Alien Relative to Live in the United States.

Sometimes a U.S. citizen living abroad can file an immigrant visa petition at an U.S. embassy or consulate or with the USCIS overseas, when the American citizen petitioner has been a resident there for the preceding 6 months and has host country permission to reside there. To find out whether you can file a petition at a specific embassy abroad, review website information at the embassy where you will apply. To learn more visit the
U.S. Embassy web page and find your respective embassy.